Friday 24 October 2014

Wretches and Jabberers

Saw Wretches and Jabberers tonight and stayed for the Q&A after. It was great! For some reason, I have always felt like I have more in common with those who type to communicate and need more support, than I do with those formerly diagnosed as aspergers. Of course I don't know if I had a speech delay so who knows. I just know I don't seem to fit anywhere. It was interesting to see that the guys have a lot of the same hand movements and head hitting that I do (but I have always hidden most of it). It's nice to feel like I fit somewhere. I also got to meet one of the advocates whom I look up to! That was exciting! I'm glad I took my new medication (blog post coming soon) before I went so I was brave enough to take someone up front to get information on how to be involved.
On the other hand I heard that one of the speakers at the Geneva Symposium has decided that she is no longer autistic. Coping and faking being allistic is not being cured of autism. There is no cure. This will be a set back for those of us trying to protect autistic people from 'cures' like MMS and hyperbaric oxygen chambers. Another good reason I had no interest in going to the Symposium!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.