Wednesday, 21 March 2012

A Bit About Me

I am a 41-year-old mother with Asperger's syndrome and my husband also has Asperger’s syndrome.  Together we have a daughter with autism.  We knew our daughter was different from the time she was born.  She had many sensory problems.  It took us until she was 4 1/2 to get her diagnosed.  In the meantime, we were labeled bad parents and told to take more parenting classes.  With what I know now, she should have easily been diagnosed younger.  To help her and learn more, I took a course called Autism and Behavioural Sciences Graduate Certificate through Seneca College online.
We discovered my Asperger's syndrome after my daughter was diagnosed with autism.  My husband was diagnosed six years later.  We never have a dull day in our family!



In addition to the three people, we have several pets. We have two dogs, two cats, three birds, a bearded dragon, a russian tortoise, and a few fish. My daughter and I also like to ride horses, but we don't own one. We both ride as para-equestrians. We have our classification card and can use special aids, if we decide to show dressage. I recently competed in the Sea-To-Sea video competition.