Wednesday 21 March 2012

A Bit About Me

I am a 41-year-old autistic mother and my husband is also autistic.  Together we have an autistic child.  We knew our child was different from the time they were born.  They had many sensory problems.  It took us until they were 4 1/2 to get them diagnosed.  In the meantime, we were labeled bad parents and told to take more parenting classes.  With what I know now, they should have easily been diagnosed younger.  To help them and learn more, I took a course called Autism and Behavioural Sciences Graduate Certificate through Seneca College online.  I didn't realize at the time that it was mainly a program to fix autistic people and not support them.
We discovered my autism after my child was diagnosed with autism.  My husband was diagnosed six years later.  We never have a dull day in our family!



In addition to the three people, we have several pets. We have two dogs, two cats, three birds, a bearded dragon, a russian tortoise, and a few fish. My child and I also like to ride horses, but we don't own one. We both ride as para-equestrians. We have our classification card and can use special aids, if we decide to show dressage. I recently competed in the Sea-To-Sea video competition.

2 comments:

  1. Mandy,
    This is a great idea! I love the front picture with the dogs in the kaleidoscope! Your dressage looked great - what excellent control you have with the horse - you looked wonderful!
    I look forward to reading your blog!
    RoseAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, Mandy. You are the expert here and all of us working in the ASD field have so much to learn from you. Thanks for the time and effort you have put into sharing.

    p.s. Love the visuals. The pictures and the videos not only give information about you and your family, they also help to keep the reader engaged from the top of the page through the bottom. Great job!

    Max

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.